7.09.2011

Mannheim in March

Sometimes my travels are planned around Starbucks. Sad, I know! But I miss being able to hit the drive-thru for a Srawberry Frap on a whim. Mannheim is about an hour drive from our house. Not too far for a Starbucks run, right?  One of the most famous icons of the Jugendstil (Arte-Nouveau style) in Germany, the water tower (and small park surrounding it) is a great place to sit and enjoy my frap.

After my Starbucks fix, we toured the Mannheim Palace. Mannheim Palace is a large Baroque palace. It was orignally the main residence of the Prince-electors of the Electoral Palatinate. It is now primarily used by the Universary of Mannheim.

I wasn't allowed to take any photos inside the palace. The palace was beautiful and full of many orante details.
Mannheim is where the Burgenstrasse (castle road) begins. Over 90 castles, palaces and castle ruins line the Castle Road. I wish I could could travel this road from beginning to end...exploring each castle, palace and castle ruin. I know I won't get to all of them, but so far I have been fortunate enough to visit:
Mannheim Palace
Heidelburg Castle
Bad Wimpfen
Rothenburd ob der Tauber

No comments: